Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Karibu! (Welcome)

I am here!! I have now officially spent 2 nights in Kenya and I have slept so well.  The journey here was pretty uneventful and for that I am thankful.  I arrived pretty late Tuesday night, so we spent the first night in Nairobi and then came out to the house in Rongai yesterday morning.  Apparently it can take 30 minutes to 3 hours to get out here depending on traffic! They are working on building a new road and its supposed to be done in March, but we shall see.  I spent yesterday with my new friend Ken, who works for Be The Change- Kenya.  He was a trooper to take me to the store and help me get settled in and he even brought me with him to a meeting at one of the organizations I will be working with this year.  I won't begin my official work duties until next week so for now I am just getting used to everything and tagging along on things when I can.

My friend Ken Chomba
The house I am living in is a home/office for BTCKE.  When I got here, my other new friend Beatrice was here to welcome me and it was the greatest welcome I have ever received.  She had my room completely decorated with signs and streamers.  I will put a few pictures on here and more will come on facebook later.  I already feel so at home here.  This is just a quick update to let you all know that I am safe and excited to be here.  Once I begin my work, I will spend more time explaining what I am doing.  
Me with Beatrice
My fun new room!
Thank you all for your continued prayer and support! It seriously means the world to me and I will probably continue to say that over and over again.




2 comments:

  1. Sweet little Beatrice :) I love your bright happy room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! Your room is so swanky. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete