Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Barikiwe (Be Blessed)

Over a year ago I boarded a plane to Nairobi, Kenya with a heart full of excitement! Today I will board a plane again, this time headed back to Atlanta, GA. It is hard to express the exact emotions I am feeling at the moment. One thing I can say for sure is that my heart is full of gratitude.

This past year has been life changing to say the least. I have learned so much about mission, partnership, love, and myself. There is no way to thank each person who has been a part of this journey with me. Tatua Kenya has been an amazing organization to work for and the YASC program is something I would recommend to anyone ready to experience the world in a new way.

As I leave today I will start reflecting on my time in Kenya knowing that it is not over. In fact, I think it is just the beginning for me. I am excited to begin this new season of life returning to the US and returning to school in Boston with anticipation of returning to Kenya one day.

Most of you all know that I developed a relationship with one organization here called Nyumba Ya Tumaini, a home for street boys from Nairobi. For a long time I have felt a specific calling (for lack of a better word) to work with street boys and it just seemed impossible. Growing up I had the love and support of amazing friends and family, as I still do today. One of my favorite aspects of my life is the fact that I am an older sister to an incredible younger brother. Even though I picked on him and knew exactly how to push his buttons, the love I have for my little brother is huge. The joy I get out of being a big sister is one of the reasons I feel so much love towards the boys of Nyumba ya Tumaini. All that being said, I have decided to join the board of the organization and begin working with Ben (director) and the rest of the Tumaini community to restructure and build on an already incredible program! As this process happens I will keep you all updated and I will ask for your continued prayer and support.

When I return home I would love to talk to each of you about my experience with Tatua, YASC and Tumaini. Please send me an email or give me a call if you would like to get together one on one or for a group.

Barikiwe! (Be Blessed!)


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am henry thomas. kenya is really wonderful country. i had personaly experience as well if you will go one time then deffinatly you will wish go to again and again..

    ReplyDelete