Friday, October 12, 2012

Who Knew a Triangle Could be so Profound?

Last Sunday we had our monthly training for the young adults.  It was the first time I got to really be a part of it and I had a great time.  The young adults we get to work with are absolutely amazing individuals.  They are just so much fun to be around.  The goal of the afternoon was to re energize them and just get them excited about the incredible work they are doing.  A guy named Dennis came to do team building games, but first we had a speaker named Martin come and talk about ethical leadership.  The young adults loved him because he was funny and engaging.  One thing he talked about was integrity.  He drew a triangle on the board and at the three points he wrote "what we say," "what we do," and "what we believe."  Then he wrote integrity in the middle.  Basically what he was saying was that we live a life of integrity when we live in a place where those three ideas all meet.  I loved that visual and I found there to be a lot of truth in it.

Yesterday we had our weekly staff meeting and we always open with some sort of thought provoking quote or activity as I have mentioned before.  This month we are discussing a passage in a book called The Ragamuffin Gospel.


"We each have a dream, a vision of life that corresponds to our convictions, embodies our uniqueness, and expresses what is life-giving within us.  Whether altruistic or ignoble, the dream gives definition to our lives, influences the decisions we make, the steps we take, and the words we speak. Daily we make choices that are either consistent with or contrary to our vision.  A life of integrity is born of fidelity to the dream."

There is a whole lot in this passage and we will be discussing it all month, which is great.  It really makes me think about what my dream and vision in life is and how I am living in it each day.  I believe it is something worth thinking about and defining for myself.  I guess I have always defined integrity as living your life in a way as to not do anything you would not want your mom to see. I still believe that, but now it goes so much deeper.  I want to live my life true to who God created me to be and embrace the vision and dreams I believe He has given me.  At the risk of becoming vulnerable with y'all I will admit it is easy to think who will really know if I do this or that, but the truth is God does know.  In Luke chapter 8, verse 17 it says, "For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open."  Living here in Kenya has helped me see how important it is to live honestly even when it is so hard because so much dishonesty is surrounding you.  This month I plan to take time to define the dream and vision God has called me to and focus on living my life in the middle of the triangle where "what I say," "what I do," and "what I believe" all meet.

Sorry no pictures this time just my thoughts, but don't worry there will be some soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment