Saturday, June 2, 2012

Time in Texas

The more I think about this whole moving to Kenya for a year, the more excited AND nervous I become. It is so strange that I can be pulled in two opposite directions at the same time.  I am certain that the excitement outweighs the nerves, but I would be lying if I did not admit I was scared, not out of what life will be like there, but more out of what I will be missing here.  It is just going to be a dramatic change, but I believe for good.  I am currently sitting in a Starbucks in Houston, TX with Natalie (one of the directors of BTCKE and my future roommate in Kenya).  She is in the states doing some fundraising so it worked out great that I could meet her before I move over there.  It is a little surreal to think about my journey up to this point.  As I go around with her and hear her talk about BTCKE and how it began, it never ceases to amaze me how God works and has clearly brought me to this place.  I wish I could write and explain every little detail to y'all because it is CRAZY, but it would be too difficult and I am not that patient, so just trust me :)

Natalie has been telling me more about what my role will look like with BTCKE, so that is really what I wanted to share with y'all in this post.  Right now BTCKE is working with 5 partner organizations- 3 of these are children's homes and 2 are centers that serve children in the community.  From what I understand I will be working closely with the partner organizations and getting to know each of them on a personal level.  Each week I will be doing visits to develop relationships with the children and staff members at these organizations.  Through these relationships I will be evaluating the impact BTCKE is having on the lives of each child.  I will also be creating methods to measure that impact and compile the information for future work BTCKE does.  The type of work sounds perfect for me and appears to align with my beliefs and desires for the poverty stricken children I love.  Even just writing this I can I feel my excitement building-that has got to be a good sign!

Once I get home from my next couple of weeks of traveling to see friends and family, I will be able to sit down and give y'all more information about when I will depart for Kenya. Until then I am including a video from BTCKE that has some testimonies about what they have been doing in Kenya.


As always, more updates to come!

**I will be speaking at St. Edwards Episcopal Church in Lawrenceville, GA on July 1, 2012 after the 10:30 AM service.  Still working on fundraising, so if anyone has any ideas do not hesitate to send them my way or if you would like to support me check out my Support Page. Checks can be made out to St. Catherine's Episcopal Church with Jenny's Kenya YASC in the memo line.**



No comments:

Post a Comment