Monday, April 16, 2012

The Adventure Begins

Hello blogging world.  For those of you who know me, you know that starting a blog is probably the most stressful part of this new journey for me, but here we go.  And for those of you who don't know me, I am excited to share this adventure with you as well.

My name is Jenny Korwan and I am about to leave my home in Georgia and move to a small town in Kenya for a year this August to serve as a missionary with the Episcopal Church.  I have so much to tell you and get done before I can even think of leaving U.S. soil.  It is hard to know where to begin.  First it is important to stress that I am not going alone.  I will need prayers, financial support, and love from all of you at home.

What is YASC?
The Young Adult Service Corps (YASC) is a foreign mission program within The Episcopal Church. They bring young adults into the life of the worldwide Anglican Communion and into the daily work of a local community of a foreign country. YASC is mainly a placement and support program that prepares and assists young Episcopal missionaries as they serve abroad.

My Placement
I have been placed with Be The Change- Kenya.  Be The Change-Kenya exists to close the resource gap between international organizations and local community organizations fighting poverty.  They work to address child poverty in Nairobi by increasing the capacity of the local community by strengthening local organizations and developing local leaders.  I cannot say exactly what my role will look like over there, but as I learn more I will keep you all updated.  To learn more you can visit their web-site here Be The Change-Kenya.

My Calling to Serve with YASC
I went to school at the University of Georgia in Athens, GA.  While I was in school I got involved in many different ministries and organizations and I discovered everything I enjoyed revolved around serving people in cultures outside of my own.  I have been blessed with opportunities to travel to very different countries, a few including Australia, Kenya, and China.  It is hard to explain a calling from God, but just trust me when I say I know God has called me to international service.  The joy and peace I experienced, especially in Kenya, can only come from one source: God.  I began attending Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Athens and after I graduated I was not sure what I was going to do next.  I majored in social work and I had big dreams about fighting the many social injustices around the world, but I did not know where to begin.  My Priest lead me to the YASC program and after some research and prayer I applied.  I attended a Discernment Weekend in Live Oak, FL this past February with the rest of the candidates.  It was a great time of sharing and learning together.  By the time I left there I knew this program was what God had next for me.  Now here I am preparing for a year in Kenya where I will get to serve along side others who desire the same things for a beautiful country and people.  

Thank you for taking the time to read about where I am and where I am going.  As I mentioned I need your help.  Please take time to look at my support page and consider giving to my adventure.  Anything  is appreciated more than I can express.

More updates to come!

Peace&Joy,
Jenny

3 comments:

  1. ahh!! i love this so much already!!! I can't wait to check it every day while you're gone :) love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny!
    Beautiful blog. I can't wait to keep up with all the people the Lord touches through you. You are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny! We are so thrilled to have you and I'm glad you took the step of setting up a blog, this is going to be a great year and you will have SO much to share! See you in about 100 days!!!

    ReplyDelete